SOYBEAN - SUPPRESSION OF SEEDBORNE DISEASES
Apron MAXX RTA is a seed treatment fungicide that protects against damping-off and seed rots due to Pythium, Phytophthora, Fusarium, and Rhizoctonia spp., and early season Phytophthora root rot. Apron MAXX RTA also suppresses seed-borne Sclerotinia and Phomopsis spp. especially in soybeans. Apron MAXX RTA contains the active ingredient mefenoxam found in Apron XLR that provides protection against Pythium and early season Phytophthora root rot. Apron MAXX RTA also contains the active ingredient fludioxonil found in MaximR 4FS that provides protection against the remaining diseases mentioned in this label.
Apron MAXX RTA contains mefenoxam, a Group 4 fungicide, and fludioxonil, a Group 12 fungicide. Mefenoxam belongs to the phenylamide class of chemistry which interferes with fungal RNA synthesis. Fludioxonil belongs to the phenylpyrrole class of chemistry which interferes with osmotic signal transduction.
Fungal populations may contain individuals naturally resistant to Group 4 or 12 fungicides and if used repeatedly in the same fields, then resistant members may eventually dominate the population. Because resistance development cannot be predicted, the use of this product should conform to sound resistance management strategies such as alternation with fungicides with a different mode of action and/or tank mixes established for the crop and use area.
Use should be based on an IPM program that includes field sanitation, scouting, historical information related to pesticide use, and crop rotation. The IPM program should also consider cultural, biological, and other chemical control practices.
Syngenta encourages responsible product stewardship to ensure effective long term control of the fungal diseases on this label.
For additional information on Fungicide Resistance Management:
- Contact Syngenta representatives at 1-800-334-9481.
- Contact your local extension specialist or certified crop advisor.
- Visit the Fungicide Resistance Action Committee (FRAC) on the web at: http://www.frac.info.
SEED CONTAINER LABEL REQUIREMENTS
The Federal Seed Act requires that containers of treated seeds shall be labeled with the following statements:
- This seed has been treated with mefenoxam and fludioxonil fungicides.
- Do not use for feed, food, or oil purposes.
In addition, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires the following statements on containers of seeds treated with Apron MAXX RTA:
- Ground Water Advisory: Mefenoxam is known to leach through soil into groundwater under certain conditions as a result of label use. Fludioxonil has properties and characteristics associated with chemicals detected in groundwater. These chemicals may leach into groundwater if used in areas where soils are permeable, particularly where the water table is shallow.
- Excess treated seed may be used for ethanol production only if: (1) By-products are not used for livestock feed, and (2) No measurable residues of pesticide remain in the ethanol by-products that are used in agronomic practice.
- Do not allow children, pets, or livestock to have access to treated seed.
- Store away from feeds and foodstuffs.
- Wear long-sleeved shirt, long pants and chemical-resistant gloves when handling treated seed.
- Treated seeds exposed on soil surface may be hazardous to wildlife. Cover or collect treated seeds spilled during loading and planting.
- Treated seed must be planted into the soil at a depth greater than 1 inch.
- Dispose of all excess treated seed by burying away from bodies of water.
- Do not contaminate water bodies when disposing of planting equipment washwaters.
- Dispose of seed packaging in accordance with local requirements.
The specified Apron MAXX RTA rates will deliver 3.75 grams of mefenoxam (the active ingredient in Apron XL) and 2.5 grams of fludioxonil (the active ingredient in Maxim 4FS) per 100 kilograms of seed. If the target fields have a history of high Phytophthora pressure, then use a tank mix of 5.0 fl oz of Apron MAXX RTA with 0.16-0.48 fl oz of Apron XL per 100 lb of seed. Read and follow all label directions and restrictions for Apron XL use.