CITRUS ORCHARD FLOORS
Insect Resistance Management (IRM)
SAURUS contains a Group 1B insecticide. Insect/mite biotypes with acquired resistance to Group 1B may eventually dominate the insect/mite population if group 1B insecticides are used repeatedly in the same field or in successive years as the primary method of control for targeted species. This may result in partial or total loss of control of those species by Saurus or other Group 1B insecticides.
To delay development of insecticide resistance, the following practices are recommended:
- Avoid consecutive use of insecticides with the same mode of action (same insecticide group) on the same insect species.
- Use tank mixtures or premix products containing insecticides with different modes of action (different insecticide groups) provided the products are registered for the intended use.
- Base insecticide use on comprehensive Integrated Pest Management (IRM) programs.
- Monitor treated insect populations in the field for loss of effectiveness.
Contact your local extension specialist, certified crop advisor, and or manufacturer for insecticide resistance management and/or IPM recommendations for the specific site and resistant pest problems.
For further information or to report suspected resistance, you may contact Helena Chemical Company by calling 1-901-761-0050 or over the internet at www.helenachemical.com.
Do not apply by aircraft at a rate greater than 1 lb. ai chlorpyrifos per acre.
See label for the Equivalent rates of SAURUS per acre for various row spacings.
CITRUS ORCHARD FLOORS
Apply SAURUS as a ground broadcast spray directed to the orchard floor to control foraging ants and suppress mounds. Use a suitable granular applicator, such as a cyclone fertilizer spreader, that will uniformly broadcast the granules over the orchard floor. SAURUS™ may be custom blended with granular fertilizers provided that application of the blended mixture can be applied uniformly to the orchard floor. Do not apply where weed growth or other obstructions would impede uniform coverage of the orchard floor. Foliar applications of SAURUS may be made in addition to orchard floor treatments of SAURUS™ (see “Specific Use Restrictions”).
Pest-Specific Use Directions
Excludes ants of significant public health importance such as fire ants, harvester ants, carpenter ants, and pharaoh ants.
Specific Use Restrictions:
- Do not make more than 3 applications of SAURUS or other products containing chlorpyrifos per year (does not include foliar applications to citrus trees).
- Do not make a second application within 10 days of any application of chlorpyrifos to the orchard.
- Do not allow meat or dairy animals to graze in treated areas.