SUGARBEET - ROOT MAGGOT
Lorsban 15G contains a Group 1B insecticide. Insect/mite biotypes with acquired resistance to Group 1B may eventually dominate the insect/mite population if Group 1B insecticides are used repeatedly in the same field or in successive years as the primary method of control for targeted species. This may result in partial or total loss of control of those species by Lorsban 15G or other Group 1B insecticides.
To delay development of insecticide resistance, the following practices are recommended:
- Avoid consecutive use of insecticides with the same mode of action (same insecticide group) on the same insect species.
- Use tank mixtures or premix products containing insecticides with different modes of action (different insecticide groups) provided the products are registered for the intended use.
- Base insecticide use on comprehensive Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programs.
- Monitor treated insect populations in the field for loss of effectiveness.
- Contact your local extension specialist, certified crop advisor, and or manufacturer for insecticide resistance management and/or IPM recommendations for the specific site and resistant pest problems.
- For further information or to report suspected resistance, you may contact Dow AgroSciences by calling 800-253-3033 or over internet at www.dowagro.com.
Equivalent rates of Lorsban 15G per acre for various row spacings are given in Table 1.
At-Plant T-Band Application
Apply Lorsban 15G in a band 4 to 5 inches wide behind the planter shoe, over the drill row, and in front of the press wheel. Do not apply granules in direct contact with seeds. Apply Lorsban 15G at the rate of 4.5 to 9 oz per 1000 feet of row (equivalent to 6.7 to 13.4 lb per acre based upon 22-inch row spacing). Incorporate Lorsban 15G into the top 1/2 to 1 inch of soil using suitable equipment.
Postemergence Band Application
Apply Lorsban 15G in a band 3 to 5 inches wide over the beet row (up to 2 to 4 true leaf stage of plant growth). Apply Lorsban 15G at the rate of 6.5 to 9 oz per 1000 feet of row (equivalent to 10 to 13.5 lb per acre based upon 22-inch row spacing). Incorporate Lorsban 15G into the top 1/2 to 1 inch of soil using suitable equipment.
Pest-Specific Use Directions:
When root maggot populations are expected to be low, apply Lorsban 15G at a rate of 4.5 oz per 1000 feet of row (equivalent to 6.75 lb per acre based upon 22-inch row spacing). If initial adult fly activity indicates higher than anticipated populations, apply Lorsban-4E at or near the time of peak adult emergence to augment control.
Specific Use Precautions: Granular insecticides, including Lorsban 15G, may contribute to the stress of the sugarbeet plant under certain environmental conditions. This stress may reduce plant stand or interfere with normal plant development. Herbicides used preplant incorporated may interact with insecticides and enhance this stress.
Specific Use Restrictions:
- Do not make more than 1 application of Lorsban 15G per season or apply more than 2 lb ai chlorpyrifos per acre per season.
- Do not apply more than a total of 3 lb ai chlorpyrifos per acre per year, or make more than 3 applications of products containing chlorpyrifos per season.
- The maximum single application rate is 1.35 oz ai chlorpyrifos per 1000 feet of row or 2 lb ai chlorpyrifos per acre based upon a 22-inch row spacing.
- Do not make a foliar application of Lorsban-4E or other product containing chlorpyrifos within 10 days of an at-plant application of Lorsban 15G.
At plant: 4.5-9.0 oz / 1000 ft of row
Postplant: 6.5-9.0 oz / 1000 ft of row