PEANUT - PREVENTIVE TREATMENTS
Lorsban 15G contains a Group 1B insecticide. Insect/mite biotypes with acquired resistance to Group 1B may eventually dominate the insect/mite population if Group 1B insecticides are used repeatedly in the same field or in successive years as the primary method of control for targeted species. This may result in partial or total loss of control of those species by Lorsban 15G or other Group 1B insecticides.
To delay development of insecticide resistance, the following practices are recommended:
- Avoid consecutive use of insecticides with the same mode of action (same insecticide group) on the same insect species.
- Use tank mixtures or premix products containing insecticides with different modes of action (different insecticide groups) provided the products are registered for the intended use.
- Base insecticide use on comprehensive Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programs.
- Monitor treated insect populations in the field for loss of effectiveness.
- Contact your local extension specialist, certified crop advisor, and or manufacturer for insecticide resistance management and/or IPM recommendations for the specific site and resistant pest problems.
- For further information or to report suspected resistance, you may contact Dow AgroSciences by calling 800-253-3033 or over internet at www.dowagro.com.
Equivalent rates of Lorsban 15G per acre for various row spacings are given in Table 1.
At-Plant Preventive Application
Apply Lorsban 15G in a 6- to 12-inch band over the row behind the planter shoe and in front of the press wheel. Incorporate granules to a depth of 1 inch with tines, chains or other suitable equipment. If the 7.5 oz rate is used at planting time, then another application of 7.5 oz per 1000 feet of row should be made postplant to extend control.
Postplant Preventive Application
Apply Lorsban 15G to peanuts at early flowering to pegging stage of growth in a 6- to 8-inch band over the row. For extended insect control and continued suppression of white mold (southern blight), a second application of Lorsban 15G may be made (see Specific Use Restrictions).
Pest-Specific Use Directions:
Suppression of white mold: Best suppression of white mold (southern blight) is obtained by applying the maximum rate of 15 oz per 1000 ft of row. Irrigation or rain following application is needed to enhance treatment effectiveness for suppression of white mold. Under conditions of heavy white mold pressure, a suitable fungicide may also be required and must be applied separately.
Specific Use Restrictions:
- Do not make more than 2 applications of Lorsban 15G per year.
- Do not apply more than 15 oz of Lorsban 15G per 1000 feet of row per crop season or apply more than 4 lb ai chlorpyrifos per acre.
- The combined total of preplant and postplant applications of Lorsban-4E and Lorsban 15G or other product containing chlorpyrifos must not exceed 4 lb ai chlorpyrifos per acre per crop season.
- Do not make a second application of Lorsban 15G or other product containing chlorpyrifos within 10 days of the first application.
- Do not feed treated peanut forage or hay to meat or dairy animals.
- Aerial application to peanuts is prohibited.