INDIVIDUAL PLANT TREATMENT NON-FOLIAR APPLICATIONS - GROWNG POINT AND LEAF BASE (CROWN) TREATMENT OF YUCCA
TRICLOPYR R&P herbicide is recommended for the control listed susceptible woody plants and annual and perennial broadleaf weeds on rangelands, permanent grass pastures, and conservation reserve program (CRP) acres (including fence rows and non-irrigation ditch banks within these areas). TRICLOPYR R&P is an oil soluble, emulsifiable liquid product containing the herbicide triclopyr. TRICLOPYR R&P may be applied to woody or herbaceous broadleaf plants as a foliar spray or as a basal bark or to cut stump application to woody plants. As a foliar spray TRICLOPYR R&P will control only herbaceous plants that have emerged from the soil or woody plants that are in full leaf at the time of application.
Small amounts of TRICLOPYR R&P can kill or injure many broadleaf plants. To prevent damage to crops and other desirable plants, follow all directions and precautions.
GENERAL USE PRECAUTIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
- Be sure that use of this product conforms to all applicable regulations.
- In Arizona: The state of Arizona has not approved TRICLOPYR R&P for use on plants grown for commercial production; specifically on designated grazing areas.
- Chemigation: Do not apply this product through any type of irrigation system.
- When tank-mixing, follow all applicable use directions, precautions, and limitations on the respective product labels.
- Many forbs (herbaceous broadleafs) are susceptible to TRICLOPYR R&P. Do not spray pastures containing desirable forbs, especially legumes such as clover, unless injury or loss of such plants can be tolerated. However, the stand and growth of established grasses usually is improved after spraying, especially when rainfall is adequate and grazing is deferred.
- Established grasses are tolerant to this product, but newly seeded grasses may be injured until well established as indicated by tillering, development of a secondary root system and vigorous growth. Do not reseed treated areas for a minimum of three weeks after treatment.
- Do not apply TRICLOPYR R&P directly to, or otherwise permit it to come into direct contact with cotton, grapes, peanuts, soybeans, tobacco, vegetable crops, flowers, citrus or other desirable broadleaf plants and do not permit spray mists containing it to drift onto them.
- Do not apply directly to irrigation ditches or water used for irrigation or domestic purposes.
Maximum Application Rates:
- Do not apply more than 8 lb acid equivalent per acre per year (equivalent to 8 quarts of formulated product).
- Do not apply more than 2 lb acid equivalent per acre per year to sites that may be grazed (equivalent to 2 quarts of formulated product).
Spray volume should be sufficient to obtain complete and uniform foliar coverage. For aerial application apply at least 2 gallons of total spray volume per acre. For ground application, apply 10 or more gallons of total spray volume per acre. Use higher spray volumes for ground or aerial application to ensure adequate coverage with increased depth and density of foliage, particularly for treatment of woody plants or as indicated in the “Treatment Recommendations” section of the label.
TRICLOPYR R&P may be foliar applied by diluting with water or by preparing an oil-water emulsion. For woody plant control, an oil-water emulsion will perform more dependably under a broader range of conditions than a straight water dilution and is especially recommended for aerial applications.
NOTE: Do not use oil-water emulsions on areas to be grazed.
Oil-water emulsions may be prepared using diesel fuel, fuel oil, or kerosene plus an emulsifier such as Sponto 712 or Triton X-100. Use a jar test to check spray mix compatibility before preparing oil-water emulsion sprays in the mixing tank.
Ground Application: Add oil to the spray mix at a rate of 5 to 10% of the total mix, up to a maximum of 1 gallon of oil per acre, using agricultural spray emulsifiers according to mixing instructions below.
Aerial Application: Use oil and water in the spray mixture in a 1:5 ratio (1 part oil to 5 parts water), up to a maximum of 1 gallon of oil per acre according to mixing instructions below.
For water dilutions, an agricultural surfactant at the manufacturer’s recommended rate may be added to the spray mixture to provide improved wetting of weed foliage. To help minimize spray drift, a drift control and deposition aid cleared for application to growing crops is recommended in all spray mixtures.
Mixing with Liquid Fertilizer for Broadleaf Weed Control
TRICLOPYR R&P may be combined with liquid nitrogen fertilizer suitable for foliar application to accomplish weed control and fertilization of grass pastures in one operation. Use TRICLOPYR R&P in accordance with recommendations for weed control in grass pastures as given on the label. Use liquid fertilizer at rates recommended by supplier or Extension Service Specialist.
NOTE: TRICLOPYR R&P is not recommended for use with liquid fertilizer on woody plants (brush). Foliage burn caused by liquid fertilizer may reduce herbicide effectiveness on woody plants.
Precautions: Do not store liquid fertilizer spray mixtures. Application with liquid fertilizer during very cold weather (near freezing) is not advisable. The likelihood of mixing or compatibility problems with liquid fertilizer increases under cold conditions.
NOTE: Do not use broadcast spray equipment used for application of TRICLOPYR R&P for other applications to susceptible crops or desirable plants, or land planted to such plants, unless it has been determined that all phytotoxic herbicide residue has been removed by thorough cleaning of the equipment.
Oil Mixture Sprays for Basal Treatment: When preparing oil-based spray mixtures, use either diesel fuel. No. 1 or No. 2 fuel oil, kerosene or commercially available basal oil. Substitute other oils or diluents only as recommended by the oil or diluent’s manufacturer. When mixing with a basal oil or other oils or diluents, read and follow the use directions and precautions on the manufacturer’s product label. Add TRICLOPYR R&P to the required amount of oil in the spray tank or mixing tank and mix thoroughly. If the mixture stands over 4 hours, reagitation is required.
NOTE: Do not use oil-water emulsions on areas to be grazed.
See label for tank mix application instructions.
INDIVIDUAL PLANT TREATMENT NON-FOLIAR APPLICATIONS
Growing Point and Leaf Base (Crown) Treatment of Yucca
Prepare a 2% v/v solution of TRICLOPYR R&P in diesel or fuel oil f 13 oz of TRICLOPYR R&P in 5 gallons of spray mixture). Thoroughly wet the center of the plant including growing point and leaf bases to the soil surface. Complete coverage of leaves is not necessary.