CORN (FIELD, POP, SEED AND SWEET) - MEDIUM OR FINE SOIL (LESS THAN 3% ORGANIC MATTER) - PREPLANT INCORPORATED APPLICATION
Sortie ATZ herbicide is a selective preemergence herbicide for controlling most annual grasses, many annual broadleaf weeds, and sedges in field corn, seed corn, sweet corn, popcorn and grain sorghum.
Some weed species may have triazine-resistant biotypes that will not be controlled adequately by this product. If resistant biotypes are suspected, use an alternate program or use non-triazine products such as Clarity or Prowl herbicide in combination with Sortie ATZ or use Distinct sequentially.
Sortie ATZ may be applied preplant surface, preplant incorporated, preemergence or may be applied early postemergence to corn or sorghum. Sortie ATZ will provide most effective weed control when applied (by ground or aerial equipment) and subsequently incorporated into soil by rainfall, sprinkler irrigation, or mechanical tillage prior to weed seedling emergence from soil. Sortie ATZ may be applied using either water or fluid fertilizer as the spray carrier, or impregnated onto and applied with dry bulk fertilizer. Sprayable fluid fertilizer as a carrier is not recommended for use after crop emergence unless the typical fertilizer burn symptoms on the crop are acceptable.
When use rates are expressed in ranges, use the lower rates for more coarsely textured soils lower in organic matter and use the higher rates for more finely textured soils that are higher in organic matter. Reduced rates may be used where partial control or reduced length of soil residual control is required.
Ground Application (Banding)
When applying Sortie ATZ herbicide by banding, determine the amount of herbicide and water volume needed using the formula in the label.
Aerial Application Methods and Equipment
Water Volume: Use 2 or more gallons of water per acre. The actual minimum spray volume per acre is determined by the spray equipment used. Use adequate spray volume to provide accurate and uniform distribution of spray particles over the treated area and to avoid spray drift.
Ground Application Methods and Equipment (Broadcast)
Water Volume: Use 5 or more gallons of water per acre. The actual minimum spray volume per acre is determined by the spray equipment used. Adequate spray volume must be used to provide accurate and uniform distribution of spray particles over the treated area and to avoid drift of spray particles to nontarget areas.
RESTRICTIONS AND LIMITATIONS
- Restricted Use Pesticide: This product is a restricted use herbicide due to ground and surface water concerns. Users must read and follow all precautionary statements and instructions for use in order to minimize potential for atrazine to reach ground and surface water.
- Maximum seasonal use rate: DO NOT apply more than a total of 4.6 pints of Sortie ATZ per acre, per season. Sortie ATZ contains 3.3 pounds of the active ingredient atrazine per gallon (0.41 pounds of ai per pint). When tank mixing or sequentially applying atrazine or products containing atrazine to corn or sorghum, the total pounds of atrazine applied (lbs ai/A) must not exceed the specific seasonal rate limits from preemergence, or postemergence, or preemergence + postemergence sequential applications, as noted below:
Prior to crop emergence: DO NOT exceed 1.6 pounds of atrazine ai per acre on highly erodible soils (as defined by the Natural Resource Conservation Service) with less than 30% plant residue cover. DO NOT exceed 2.0 pounds of atrazine ai per acre on other soils.
- After crop emergence: DO NOT exceed 2.0 pounds of atrazine ai per acre on any soil.
- Prior to and after crop emergence (sequential applications): DO NOT exceed a total of 2.5 pounds of atrazine ai/acre on any soil per year.
- Sortie ATZ is not for sale, distribution, or use in Nassau or Suffolk counties in New York state.
- Crop Rotation Restriction:
- If the crop treated with Sortie ATZ is lost to adverse weather or for other reasons, the area treated may be replanted to corn and grain sorghum immediately. If the original Sortie ATZ treatment was broadcast, DO NOT make a second application of Sortie ATZ if the combined rate exceeds the maximum rate per season. If the original application was banded and the second crop is planted in the row middles, a second band application may be applied.
- Corn, sorghum, soybeans, cotton or peanuts may be planted the year following treatment. Injury may occur to soybeans planted on soils having a calcareous surface layer.
- DO NOT plant sugar beets, tobacco, vegetables (including dry beans), spring-seeded small grains, or small seeded legumes and grasses the year following application, or injury may occur.
- Stress: DO NOT apply to crops under stress such as stress due to lack of moisture, hail damage, flooding, herbicide injury, mechanical injury, or widely fluctuating temperatures, as injury may result.
- DO NOT apply through any type of irrigation system. DO NOT contaminate irrigation ditches or water used for domestic purposes.
See label for tank mix information/directions.
CORN (FIELD, POP, SEED AND SWEET)
Sortie ATZ herbicide may be applied preplant surface, preplant incorporated, preemergence, or postemergence to corn up to 12 tall. Corn in the label refers to field corn (grown for grain, silage, or seed), sweet corn (not including sweet corn grown for seed), and popcorn. Before applying Sortie ATZ to seed corn, sweet corn, or popcorn, verify with your local seed company (supplier) the Sortie ATZ selectivity on your inbred line or hybrid to help avoid potential injury to sensitive hybrids.
Refer to section II. Application Instructions to determine Sortie ATZ use rates by soil type and use pattern.
Crop-Specific Restrictions and Limitations
Field corn forage may be grazed or fed to livestock 60 days or more after application of Sortie ATZ. Sweet corn forage may be grazed or fed to livestock 45 days or more after application of Sortie ATZ.
Sortie ATZ may be tank mixed or applied sequentially in corn with one or more of the herbicide products according to the specific tank mixing instructions in the label and respective product labels. Refer to the tank mix product labels to confirm that the respective tank mix products are registered for use on the specific corn types, as not all corn products are registered for use on seed, pop and sweet corn.
The rates listed are intended for full season control of targeted weeds. Reduced rates (1.5-3.0 pints of Sortie ATZ per acre) may be used where partial control or reduced length of soil residual control is required, such as postemergence applications, or preemergence applications where cultivation or sequentially applied herbicides will be used for added control of the same targeted weed species. Use 1.5-2.0, 2.0-2.5, and 2.5-3.0 pints of Sortie ATZ per acre on coarse, medium, and fine soil, respectively.
For all early preplant applications, use 3.8-4.6 pints of Sortie ATZ per acre. DO NOT exceed 3.8 pints per acre on highly erodible soils with less than 30% plant residue cover prior to crop emergence.
Preplant Incorporated Applications: Apply Sortie ATZ and incorporate into the upper (1 -2) soil surface up to 2 weeks before planting. Use a harrow, rolling cultivator, finishing disk, or other implement capable of giving uniform shallow incorporation. Avoid deeper incorporation or reduced weed control may result.
Cupgrass, Woolly; Johnsongrass (seedling); Millet, wild proso; Panicum, Texas; Sandbur; Shattercane; Signalgrass, broadleaf: Partial control or suppression. To complement control, Sortie ATZ should be used in tank mixes or sequential applications with other herbicides that provide additional control of these weed species.
Cocklebur; Nightshade, black, eastern black, hairy; Ragweed, Giant; Velvetleaf; Nutsedge, yellow: For best control of these species, use the highest rate specified by soil type. If dry conditions exist near application or excessive rainfall occurs early in season, a postemergence herbicide or cultivation may be required to help control these weeds.