BEMUDAGRASS ESTABLISHED IN NONCROPLAND SITES
USE PRECAUTIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
- Do not apply this product in a way that will contact workers or other persons, either directly or through drift. Only protected handlers may he in the area during application.
- Do not enter or allow others to enter until sprays have dried.
Embark 2S IVM can be incorporated into highway vegetation management programs to eliminate seedhead production and to reduce the mowing requirements. Embark 2S IVM may be applied to bermudagrass and six species of established cool-season grasses in non - cropland sites. (See Tables 1 and 2). Embark 2S IVM may be useful in the following noncropland areas:
- Highway rights-of-way: (principal, interstate, state, and county highways), interchange ramps, waysides, service areas, and unpaved roads
- Municipal, state, and federal lands including: airports, military installations, schools/universities, libraries, and hospitals
- Commercial/Industrial areas including: industrial parks, tank farms, plant sites, storage areas, fencerows, and utility rights-of-way.
Embark 2S IVM inhibits the growth of tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, smooth bromegrass, orchardgrass, and reed canarygrass and common bermudagrass. Mixed stands of these coarse textured species may respond unevenly to applications of Embark 2S IVM and the tank mixtures. All established perennial grasses should be at least one year old.
The application window or timing is critical for the optimum seedhead control.
Generally, the application window for the best results will range from 2 to 3 weeks. The beginning of the application window for Embark 2S IVM occurs in the spring after full green-up with rapid vertical growth. The end of the application window occurs approximately 2 weeks prior to the seedhead appearance or when the seedhead can be felt at the base of the stem. Applications of Embark 2S IVM after the optimum window will result in reduced seedhead suppression.
Embark 2S IVM must be applied prior to the seedhead appearance at the stem apex. Application of Embark 2S IVM after the seedhead emergence will suppress only the later forming seedheads.
Inconsistencies of seedhead suppression may occur with mixed stands. Different grass species may vary in the inflorescence development and in their responses to the plant growth regulators. Refer to Table 2 for the application rates for seedhead suppression and refer to Table 3 for recommendations appropriate for California.
Vegetative Growth Suppression:
Embark 2S IVM will provide growth inhibition for 6 to 8 weeks under favorable growing conditions. Apply Embark 2S IVM with a nonionic surfactant after full green-up of turfgrass in the spring. At the time of treatment, turf should have developed the desired appearance, the desired height, and sufficient leaf area for uptake. Apply 24 to 32 fl. oz. (1.5 to 2.0 pints) of Embark 2S IVM per acre with a nonionic surfactant to actively growing turf for growth suppression up to 8 weeks. If temporary discoloration of the turfgrass occurs and is objectionable, reduce the 2 pints of product rate to 1.5 pints of product per acre. Refer to Tables 1 and 2 for the recommended rates for tank mixtures applied to low maintenance turf. Refer to Table 3 for the recommendations appropriate for California.
Embark 2S IVM may be applied more than once per season, however follow an application interval of at least 6 weeks between applications. The maximum application rate is 4.0 pints of product per acre per application (1.0 lb. mefluidide ae per acre per application). The maximum seasonal rate is 8.0 pints of product per acre per year (2.0 lb. mefluidide ae per acre per season).
- Mowing before application: Grass may be mowed up to two days before applying Embark 2S IVM. Clippings and other debris should be removed before spraying. If mowing removes most of the green leaf tissue, spraying should be delayed until sufficient new growth develops to assure product absorption into green leaves.
- Mowing after application: For an evenly trimmed appearance grass may be mowed 3 to 7 days after Embark 2S IVM is applied.
- When mowing is not desired or practical: Apply Embark 2S IVM after full green-up in the spring, but before mowing is necessary.
IRRIGATION AND RAINFALL:
Optimum results may not be obtained if rainfall or overhead irrigation occurs within 8 hours following application. Do not contaminate water intended for irrigation or domestic purposes. Do not apply through any type of irrigation system. To prevent product run-off, do not apply when raining or when rain is expected within 8 hours. Do not irrigate for 8 hours after application.
Applications of Embark 2S IVM to turfgrass that is stressed because of high air temperatures, drought, excessive soil water, diseases, or insects may cause temporary discoloration. Management practices to promote the health and vigor of the turfgrass should be continued on the treated areas.
PRECAUTIONS AND LIMITATIONS:
- Turf treated with Embark 2S IVM may appear less dense and temporarily discolored when compared with untreated, actively growing turf.
- In turfgrass renovation programs, areas treated with Embark 2S IVM may be reseeded 3 days following application (except California where reseeding may not occur within 2 weeks).
- Do not apply to any body of water such as lakes, streams, rivers, canals, ponds, reservoirs, or bays. Also, do not apply to areas where water is present on the soil surface such as swamps, bogs, potholes, or marshes. However, it is allowable to treat seasonally dry swamps, bogs, potholes, or marshes, berms of ditches, and road shoulders.
- Do not contaminate food or feed.
- Do not feed clippings to livestock. Do not graze livestock in treated areas.
- Keep out of lakes, streams, and ponds.