CONIFER SEEDBEDS - PREEMERGENCE
GENERAL USE INFORMATION
Unless otherwise directed by registered supplemental labels, follow the Directions for Use in each crop group section.
IMPORTANT: Read the entire DIRECTIONS FOR USE and the LIMITATION OF WARRANTY AND LIABILITY before using this product. If terms are not acceptable, return the unopened product container to the place of purchase at once.
When an adjuvant is to be used with this product, Makhteshim Agan of North America, Inc. suggests the use of a Chemical Producers and Distributors Association certified adjuvant.
IMPORTANT: TREATED SOIL MUST BE THOROUGHLY INCORPORATED TO A DEPTH OF 4 INCHES AFTER HARVEST (OR ABANDONING) OF THE TREATED CROP BUT PRIOR TO PLANTING OF THE ROTATIONAL CROP. FAILURE TO ACHIEVE THIS THOROUGH AND COMPLETE INCORPORATION OR TO FOLLOW THE REQUIRED MINIMUM PLANT-BACK INTERVAL MAY RESULT IN CROP INJURY, STAND REDUCTION, AND/OR VIGOR REDUCTION OF THE PLANT-BACK CROP. See specific fallow bed labeling regarding crop planting information for applications of GALIGAN 2E made to a fallow bed or fallow field.
GENERAL USE RESTRICTIONS
USE RESTRICTIONS THAT APPLY TO ALL REGISTERED APPLICATIONS ARE LISTED BELOW:
- Read and observe all label directions before using. When tank mixing, always read all individual manufacturers' labels. In interpreting all labels for the tank mixture, the most restrictive situations must apply.
- Do not contaminate irrigation water or water used for domestic purposes.
- Do not use any plants treated with GALIGAN 2E herbicide for feed or forage.
- Do not feed or allow animals to graze on any areas treated with GALIGAN 2E herbicide.
- GALIGAN 2E herbicide should be applied only by ground application equipment except as specifically directed on the label or on other approved supplemental labeling.
- Do not apply when weather conditions favor drift. Avoid drift to all nontarget areas. GALIGAN 2E herbicide is phytotoxic to plant foliage.
- Thoroughly flush spray equipment (tank, pump, hoses, and boom) with clean water before and after each use. Residual GALIGAN 2E herbicide remaining in spray equipment may damage other crops. To assist in the removal of GALIGAN 2E herbicide residues in spray equipment, a non-ionic surfactant such as Latron AG-98 or Latron CS-7 may be added at the rate of 1 quart per 100 gallons of water during flushing.
- Use GALIGAN 2E herbicide only for recommended purposes and at recommended rates.
- Do not treat ditch banks or waterways with GALIGAN 2E herbicide.
- On all labeled food and/or feed crops, the maximum seasonal application rate is 1.5 lbs. active ingredient (6 pints of this product) per acre (except tropical commodities grown in Hawaii).
- On all labeled ornamentals, the maximum application rate of 1.5 lbs. active ingredient (6 pints of this product) per application is allowed. A total of 4.5 lbs. active ingredient (18 pints of this product) is allowed per season.
- On all labeled conifer seedlings, the maximum application rate is 2 lbs. active ingredient (8 pints of this product) per acre.
Refer to the label regarding chemigation and tank mix information.
GALIGAN 2E is effective as a preemergence and/or postemergence herbicide for the control of certain annual grassy and broadleaf weeds in conifer seedbeds, transplants, and container stock, and in selected field-grown deciduous trees. Preemergence control is most effective when spray is applied to clean, weed-free soil surfaces. Treated soil surfaces should not be disturbed as the herbicidal effectiveness of GALIGAN 2E may be decreased. Seedling weeds are controlled during emergence as they come in contact with the soil-applied herbicide. The most effective postemergence weed control is achieved when GALIGAN 2E herbicide is applied to seedling weeds less than 4 inches in height.
Occasionally after the use of GALIGAN 2E herbicide, a spotting, crinkling, or flecking may appear on leaves of conifer and deciduous species. Leaves that receive direct or indirect (drift) spray contact may be injured. The conifer and deciduous species typically outgrow this condition rapidly and develop normally.
IMPORTANT: When applied as directed, the conifer and selected deciduous species listed on the label have shown tolerance to GALIGAN 2E. It is impossible, however, to evaluate this product on all varieties, biotypes, and cultivars of listed species on the label or under all possible growing conditions. The user should exercise reasonable judgement and caution with this product. Until familiar with results under user growing conditions, limit application of this product to a few plants in a small treated area to determine plant tolerance and extent of injury if such occurs prior to initiating large-scale applications.
To assist in the establishment of conifer seedbeds, GALIGAN 2E herbicide can be applied as a preemergence application following seeding. Postemergence applications should be delayed until a minimum of 5 weeks after emergence of the conifer seedlings. During periods of cool, cloudy weather, make certain that seedlings have hardened off prior to spraying.
Conifers are tolerant to preemergence and postemergence applications of GALIGAN 2E herbicide. GALIGAN 2E herbicide will provide both postemergence and residual preemergence control of many broadleaf weeds and annual grass species.
TIMING AND METHOD OF APPLICATION
GALIGAN 2E herbicide should be thoroughly mixed with clean water at recommended concentration and applied at 20 to 40 psi in a minimum of 20 gallons of water per treated acre. Broadcast to beds and irrigate prior to weed emergence with ½ to ¾ inch of sprinkler
SPECIFIC USE RESTRICTIONS
In addition to the following, also observe GENERAL USE RESTRICTIONS listed at the beginning of the label.
NOT FOR CONIFER RELEASE IN FOREST MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS OR FOR FOREST REGENERATION APPLICATIONS.
Do not apply GALIGAN 2E herbicide in an enclosed greenhouse structure as injury to plant foliage may result.
Do not store or transport treated container stock in an enclosed structure until completion of 4 irrigations (minimum 21 days) as injury to non-labeled plants may occur.
Always apply GALIGAN 2E herbicide only to healthy conifer stock. Do not apply GALIGAN 2E herbicide to conifers that are under stress from excessive fertilizer or soil salts, disease, nematodes, frost, drought, flooding, previously applied pesticides, soil insects, or winter injury as severe injury may result.
Do not graze or feed livestock forage cut from areas treated with GALIGAN 2E.
- Barnyardgrass, Bluegrass, Annual, Clover, Red, Clover, White, Crabgrass, Large, Fiddleneck, Coast, Foxtail, Giant, Goosegrass, Morningglory, Ivyleaf, Morningglory, Tall, Shepherdspurse: Highest rate and/or multiple applications may be required for acceptable control.
- Spurge, Prostrate, Spurge, Spotted, Thistle, Bull, Woodsorrel, Yellow: Preemergence control only.
Western Hemlock: Not registered for use in California.