CACAO - PREEMERGENCE
GENERAL USE INFORMATION
Unless otherwise directed by registered supplemental labels, follow the Directions for Use in each crop group section.
IMPORTANT: Read the entire DIRECTIONS FOR USE and the LIMITATION OF WARRANTY AND LIABILITY before using this product. If terms are not acceptable, return the unopened product container to the place of purchase at once.
When an adjuvant is to be used with this product, Makhteshim Agan of North America, Inc. suggests the use of a Chemical Producers and Distributors Association certified adjuvant.
IMPORTANT: TREATED SOIL MUST BE THOROUGHLY INCORPORATED TO A DEPTH OF 4 INCHES AFTER HARVEST (OR ABANDONING) OF THE TREATED CROP BUT PRIOR TO PLANTING OF THE ROTATIONAL CROP. FAILURE TO ACHIEVE THIS THOROUGH AND COMPLETE INCORPORATION OR TO FOLLOW THE REQUIRED MINIMUM PLANT-BACK INTERVAL MAY RESULT IN CROP INJURY, STAND REDUCTION, AND/OR VIGOR REDUCTION OF THE PLANT-BACK CROP. See specific fallow bed labeling regarding crop planting information for applications of GALIGAN 2E made to a fallow bed or fallow field.
GENERAL USE RESTRICTIONS
USE RESTRICTIONS THAT APPLY TO ALL REGISTERED APPLICATIONS ARE LISTED BELOW:
- Read and observe all label directions before using. When tank mixing, always read all individual manufacturers' labels. In interpreting all labels for the tank mixture, the most restrictive situations must apply.
- Do not contaminate irrigation water or water used for domestic purposes.
- Do not use any plants treated with GALIGAN 2E herbicide for feed or forage.
- Do not feed or allow animals to graze on any areas treated with GALIGAN 2E herbicide.
- GALIGAN 2E herbicide should be applied only by ground application equipment except as specifically directed on the label or on other approved supplemental labeling.
- Do not apply when weather conditions favor drift. Avoid drift to all nontarget areas. GALIGAN 2E herbicide is phytotoxic to plant foliage.
- Thoroughly flush spray equipment (tank, pump, hoses, and boom) with clean water before and after each use. Residual GALIGAN 2E herbicide remaining in spray equipment may damage other crops. To assist in the removal of GALIGAN 2E herbicide residues in spray equipment, a non-ionic surfactant such as Latron AG-98 or Latron CS-7 may be added at the rate of 1 quart per 100 gallons of water during flushing.
- Use GALIGAN 2E herbicide only for recommended purposes and at recommended rates.
- Do not treat ditch banks or waterways with GALIGAN 2E herbicide.
- On all labeled food and/or feed crops, the maximum seasonal application rate is 1.5 lbs. active ingredient (6 pints of this product) per acre (except tropical commodities grown in Hawaii).
- On all labeled ornamentals, the maximum application rate of 1.5 lbs. active ingredient (6 pints of this product) per application is allowed. A total of 4.5 lbs. active ingredient (18 pints of this product) is allowed per season.
- On all labeled conifer seedlings, the maximum application rate is 2 lbs. active ingredient (8 pints of this product) per acre.
Refer to the label regarding chemigation and tank mix information.
FOR USE ONLY IN HAWAII
GALIGAN 2E is effective as a preemergence herbicide when used alone for the control of certain annual broadleaf weeds in bearing and non-bearing cacao plantings. Preemergence control is most effective when spray is applied to clean, weed-free soil surfaces.
Treated berms or soil surfaces should not be disked or disturbed in any manner as the herbicidal effectiveness of GALIGAN 2E herbicide may be decreased. Seedling weeds are controlled as they come in contact with soil-applied herbicides during emergence.
GALIGAN 2E HERBICIDE USED ALONE
GALIGAN 2E herbicide is recommended for preemergence and postemergence control of susceptible weeds when directed to the orchard floor beneath cacao plants or at a dosage of up to 4 pints per acre as a pre-transplant application. For directed spray applications, cacao transplants must be healthy and of suitable size for field transplanting. Avoid spray contact with cacao foliage as injury may result. Dosages listed are for broadcast application.
TIMING AND METHOD OF APPLICATION
DO NOT APPLY PREPLANT OR PREEMERGENCE TO DIRECT-SEEDED CACAO. TREATMENTS CAN BE MADE TO ESTABLISHED CACAO OR AS A PRE-TRANSPLANT OR RECENTLY TRANSPLANTED CACAO.
Treatments should only be applied to healthy cacao stock (as determined by standard commercial growing practice). Care must be taken to prevent direct spray contact with foliage. Cacao foliage receiving accidental spray or drift may be injured. As a preemergence or postemergence treatment to weeds, apply a minimum of 15 gallons of water per acre. Use higher volumes to assure adequate coverage in high densities of emerged weeds or heavy trash. GALIGAN 2E herbicide should be directed to the soil and the base of the tree. Use of a low-pressure sprayer equipped with a breakaway boom and flat fan or off-center (OC) nozzles is recommended.
Spray shields are suggested for use in young trees. Spray equipment should be calibrated carefully before each use.
SPECIFIC USE RESTRICTIONS
In addition to the following, also observe the GENERAL USE RESTRICTIONS listed at the beginning of the label.
- Direct spray toward the base of the trees. Avoid spray contact with foliage.
- Do not apply preplant or preemergence to direct-seeded cacao.