ORNAMENTAL PLANTINGS (FIELD AND CONTAINER GROWN)
This product is not recommended for use by homeowners.
Note: In the state of New York, this product may be applied only by commercial applicators.
For control of crabgrass and other annual grasses and broadleaf weeds,
use Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB specialty herbicide in the following sites:
- established lawns
- commercial sod farms
- non cropland and industrial sites
- ornamental turf (including golf course fairways, roughs, tee boxes)
- landscape ornamentals, field grown and container nursery ornamentals. Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB only controls crabgrass up to initiation of tillering, that is, when seedlings are first visible in established turfgrasses. Quali- Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB will not control emerged weeds. For optimum effectiveness, apply Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB prior to initiation of tillering, and make all other applications before germination of target weeds.
Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB must be activated to be effective. Activation is achieved by watering-in from rainfall or irrigation (1/2 inch or more). Time applications to ensure that activation occurs before the tillering stage of crabgrass development or prior to germination of all other weeds.
Ornamental Plantings – Field and Container Grown
10,890 - Sq ft per 1 water soluble pouch
Timing of Application - Make sequential applications 3 to 4 months apart to extend preemergence weed control.
Maximum Use Rate:
Do not apply more than 1.5 lb ai/a per year using split or sequential applications (equivalent to 12 water soluble pouches per A or 1.375 oz/1,000 sq ft per year). In New York State, do not apply more than 0.25 lb ai per year (equivalent to 2 water-soluble pouches (0.625 lb/acre) per acre or 0.23 oz/1,000 sq ft of Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB.
Do not apply when weather conditions favor drift to non-target areas. This product may injure foliage of non-target plants.
Do not graze livestock or feed forage cut from areas treated with this product. To avoid injury to ornamentals within noncrop areas, apply only after transplanting when soil around roots has been thoroughly settled by rainfall or irrigation.
Use Directions for Ornamental Plantings – Field and Container Grown
Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB provides preemergence control of listed annual grass and broadleaf weeds in areas planted with tolerant ornamental plants being grown for aesthetic purposes in containers or in landscaped areas.
Treatment of Turf or Ornamental Species not listed on the Label for Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB
The ornamentals listed have shown tolerance to Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB in field trials when Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB is applied under the conditions described on the label. However, not all cultivars of each species found in nursery or landscape settings have been tested with this product or under all possible growing conditions. Before using Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB on a large scale, the user should test the product on a small scale or with only a few plants and under the growing conditions of the region where applied. Use the recommended rate and observe signs of injury for 30-60 days after application. The user assumes all responsibilities for plant injury or other liability for use of Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB on species not recommended on the label.
Chemigation: Do not apply through any type of irrigation system.
Apply Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB in the spring, summer or fall before germination of target weed species. To maintain weed control, make split or sequential applications at 3 to 4 month intervals but do not exceed the maximum use rates per year.
Use calibrated sprayers to apply Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB in order to ensure an accurate, uniform, spray distribution. Mix Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB with clean water at the rate of 4 water-soluble pouches per acre (0.46 oz of product per 1,000 sq ft (1.25 lb/acre)) per application. Use a minimum of one gallon of water per 1,000 sq ft and apply at pressures between 20 and 40 PSI.
Application Timing and Recommendations
Established, tolerant ornamentals may be treated with Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB as an over the top spray or as a directed spray. Tolerant ornamentals are listed in the following table. Be sure that directed sprays are made to the soil at the base of the ornamentals to avoid contact or drift to foliage.
Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB is a preemergence herbicide and controls weeds as they germinate; it will not control established weeds. For optimum weed control, apply Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB before weeds germinate or direct sprays to soil that is free of clods, weeds and debris such as leaves. Prior to making an application, control existing vegetation by cultivation, hand weeding, or use of postemergence herbicide. Do not disturb (i.e., mix) the soil surface to expose untreated soil. Allow the soil or planting mixes to settle firmly after transplant to avoid cracks in the soil surface which could allow the product to contact and cause injury to the plant roots.
- Before application, ensure that the ornamentals plants are firmly established, that is, when the soil around the roots are thoroughly settled by rainfall or irrigation.
- Direct application of product to bare roots of ornamental plants may result in injury to the plant.
- Do not mix or incorporate this product into soil to avoid dilution of the product in the soil and possible injury to plant roots.
- Ornamental plants that have been weakened or are under stress (due to drought, flooding, excessive fertilizer or soil salts, wind injury, hail, frost damage, winter injury, injury from previously applied pesticides or injury due to insects, nematodes or diseases) may be injured if treated with this product.
- Non-target plant foliage may be injured from drift or direct sprays of this product. Do not apply this product when weather conditions favor drift to non-target areas.
- Do not apply this product on grasses grown for seed.
- Do not graze livestock or feed forage cut from areas treated with this product.
- Do not apply this product in enclosed structures and greenhouses.
The ornamentals listed have shown tolerance to Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB in field trials when Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB is applied under the conditions described on the label. However, not all cultivars of each species have been tested with this product nor under all possible growing conditions. Before using Quali-Pro Dithiopyr 40 WSB on a large scale, the user should test the product on a small scale with only a few plants and under the growing conditions of the region where used. Evaluate the plants for tolerance evaluation following the directions given.
Use the following table to determine which of the two recommended application methods should be utilized: over the top of the foliage, or directed (defined as spraying the product mixture to the soil that is located around and under the ornamental plant; the spray should not come in contact with the plant’s foliage). Some cultivars may be treated when grown in containers.
Note that applications are to be made to Ornamental species only.
DO NOT USE ON FOOD-PRODUCING TREES AND PLANTS.