Bayer Prepares for 2020 XtendFlex Soybean DebutAdding to its XtendiMax platform, Bayer plans to introduce XtendFlex soybean technology in 2020, pending regulatory approval. The new soybean trait stack includes tolerances to glyphosate, dicamba and, newly added, glufosinate. The European Union is the last country left to approve the product as China, Philippines and other relevant export partners have already given the product the OK. The company plans to broadly license this technology just like it did with Roundup Ready 2 Xtend. Visit cropscience.bayer.com for additional details.
New Seed Treatments by 2020Seed and chemical companies are actively seeking the next solution for soil-borne diseases, pests and other early season challenges in the form of seed treatments. Nufarm recently acquired Trunemco from BASF. It is a soybean, corn and cotton seed treatment that features a low-dose rate of 0.3 oz. per cwt. The product is still waiting for EPA registration, but the company anticipates a 2020 launch date. According to the Nufarm, Trunemco protects against the following nematode pests:
- Corn: dagger, lance, needle, pin, ring, root knot, root lesion, spiral, sting, stubby root and stunt.
- Soybeans: reniform, root knot and soybean cyst.
- Cotton: Columbia lance, reniform and root knot.
BASF to Launch Revysol FungicideCoined the “Apple watch” of corn and soybean fungicides, if the Apple watch were compared with a pedometer, BASF is preparing to launch their new product Revysol. The fungicide brings to fruition more than 10 years of research and development and could encompass approximately 30 million soybean and 34 million corn acres by 2023. Branded Veltyma in corn and Revytek in soybeans, the fungicides will be used in field trials this year. BASF anticipates EPA registration this summer and a full launch next year. It can be used in 10 different crops and provides control for 30 ailments, including curative and preventative activities. Revysol fungicide provides activity against:
- Corn: gray leaf spot, northern corn leaf blight, southern corn leaf blight, southern rust and tar spot.
- Soybean: frogeye leaf spot, septoria brown spot, cercospora blight and aerial web blight.
- Wheat: common rust, stripe rust, septoria and powdery mildew.
- Peanut: late leaf spot, early leaf pot, southern stem rot and rhizoctonia limb rot.