Motors, wiring and controls could be ruined and it’s important not to turn on those components and make sure the power is off. Hurburgh offers a checklist for your bins.
- Cut all power and professionally verify that all structures are not energized.
- Determine where the water line was, and therefore the extent of adulterated grain.
- Consult your insurance carrier before moving any grain.
- Remove good grain from the top, have it graded by an official grader, and tested for mycotoxins.
- Consult your local DNR Field Office for instructions on disposal of adulterated grain.
- Clean and disinfect storage structures. Replace electrical components.
- Feed the good grain in consultation with a veterinarian who may ask for additional tests.